RE: Fwd: Student Accused in Poisoning Case

Before anyone gets upset at the writer of the article (I have not had a
chance to read it yet), I think we should think of the forest through
the trees.  There should be some difference in our professional response
to slight technical inaccuracies and blatant truth bending.  Both should
be handled rationally - a response such as "you idiots" is clearly not
appropriate for technical inaccuracies.

I doubt that most people have a clear concept of half-life, and I also
doubt that professionals get technical information from news articles.
Technical inaccuracies can be handled by talking calmly to the reporter
- you may even see a correction printed.  Blatant truth-bending can be
handled through a chain of command (talk to writer, editor, management
and so-on).

Robert A. Jones			Robert_A_Jones@rl.gov
Health Physicist 			phone: (509)376-8528
PFP Radiological Control 		fax: (509)373-4274
Hanford, WA				Hanford Pager: 85-6559