Re[2]: DOE regulation

     Not true! DOE contractors are the "licensees" under the Price-Anderson
     Amendments Act (PAAA), not the DOE, and are the ones subject to
     enforcement action and fines. (DOE has levied a number of fines in the
     last couple of years against contractors, a few of which were quite
     large. They haven't fined themselves yet. ;-) It's not legal to pass
     the fine back to the DOE for payment.

     Under the present laws that DOE operates under, the DOE is generally
     NOT liable for compliance! For example, in 10 CFR 835 (DOE's 10 CFR
     20) it states that "With respect to a particular DOE activity,
     CONTRACTOR MANAGEMENT shall be responsible for compliance with the
     requirements of this part." (emphasis mine)

     Further, in 10 CFR 820, Appendix A (DOE's PAAA enforcement policy) it
     states "With regard to the issue of funding, however, DOE does not
     consider an asserted lack of funding to be a justification for
     noncompliance with DOE Nuclear Safety Requirements."

     Bottom line: DOE funds sites and activities and sets priorities, but
     the contractor is responsible for compliance, including enforcement
     actions and fines, even if the noncompliance resulted from a lack of
     DOE funding. It gets interesting sometimes.... :-)

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com