RE: DOE regulation

What I believe that Al is saying is that the operation would always be
substandard if the NRC regulated the DOE.  NRC could simply fine the
contractor - and rob Peter to Pay Paul.  If the DOE disagrees and does
not pay up - no work gets done (except for a lot of political
posturing).  Even if you fine the DOE direct- how do you enforce it,
what is the model?  It just sounds like a screwy way of "fixing" things
- a federal government entity regulating another federal government
entity (Jenga anyone?).

We should analyze the real problem (e.g., too many government agencies
regulating the exact same thing) and look to a model that works for
fixing that problem.  I bet that simply shuffling one government agency
under another will increase the problems.  A lot of things have to be
fixed before that happens.

Robert A. Jones			Robert_A_Jones@rl.gov
Health Physicist 			phone: (509)376-8528
PFP Radiological Control 		fax: (509)373-4274
Hanford, WA				Hanford Pager: 85-6559