Re: Hologic X-ray Bone Densitometer

Shielding was not a problem with the older pencil beam machines.  But, you
should be aware that the newer fan beam systems do give a measureable dose
at some distance from the patient.  I do not have any data for the Hologic
machine.  We use the Lunar EXPERT and Lunar provide isodose distributions
(which I have verified) for use in estimating the dose to the operator.

Richard

At 07:20 P 17.11.98 -0600, you wrote:
>I wouldn't worry too much about facility design: you need a pancake
>chamber to pick up any readings at all from a bone densitometer at only
>3 or 4 feet.
>
>    _____________________________________________________________
>        Gary Isenhower
>        garyi@bcm.tmc.edu
>
>"One of the illusions of life is that the present
>hour is not the critical decisive hour. Write it
>on you heart that every day is the best day of
>the year."
>                                - R. W. Emerson -

Richard Smart PhD
Department of Nuclear Medicine