Radon emanation from farm fields

Chris,

Thank-you very much for the interesting  thougts you expressed below.  I have
not considered that potential for radon release.  However, we have documented
extremely high waterborne radon concentrations in drainage tiles from
agricultural land.  In addition to the radon potential you describe, we also
have a potential source of radon from the millions of tons of phospate
fertilizer (radium source)  that gets deposited in the fields each year.  As
time permits, I will plow into an exploration of the potential release, it
sounds like an area that needs further cultivation.

Regards, Bill Field
bill-field@uiowa.edu
University of Iowa