Re: Occupational exposure to radon update

I don't see this as much of a problem for Iowa (or other states) farmers.
When tilling the soil, most farmers, now-a-days, ride in an enclosed cab,
often air conditioned. The cab is 4 to 6 ft above the soil, the tractor is
moving so half the time there will be a headwind component, and only a
very small fraction of a field is tilled at any one short time interval.
For those (unfortunate?) farmers that still ride on an open tractor, dust
inhalation is by far the most serious long term threat. This doesn't take
into account factors like tilling on the side of a hill such that the
tractor rolls over or other machinery accidents. These result in farming
being one of the most hazardous occupations in the USofA.
While such a study might be interesting to carry out, I don't see that any
results would have any practical application.
Les Fraley
les@lamar.colostate.edu