Re: Re: Agricultural radon exposure

In a message dated 11/19/98, 7:16:24 AM, radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu writes:
<<With the advent of modern tilling methods most Agricultural exposures are
probably going to look at the "enhanced ambient" levels of plowing season.
However, if anyone was really interested in exposure to the fresh source, they
might want to look at the Amish.  In Ohio, and in other areas of the country
there are still measurable populations that sit in the open air, within 5 feet
behind the plow and practically on top of the freshly turned soil.  They may
do this for 8 or more hours a day for several weeks at a time.>>

Zack,

That is a good point.  We also have a fairly large population of Amish in
Iowa.  In addition, I grew up in Lancaster, PA, which is also the heart of
Amish country.  There are also still a good number of non-Amish farmers that
till their land using small non-enclosed tractors.  However, the Amish would
be an interesting group to study,  since I would guess they have a lower rate
of smoking induced cancers.  My guess is that their participation rate in
studies is not very high.

I know the enhanced ambient exists in Iowa.  We have a paper in press in the
journal, Environmental Health Perspectives that reports on a state-wide
outdoor radon monitoring study.  Large areas of Iowa were found to have yearly
radon gas concentrations of 1.5 pCi/L.  This is surprising, when you consider
the National indoor average is about 1.4 pCi/L.

Regards, Bill Field
bill-field@uiowa.edu
University of Iowa