Re: release of patient based on NRCREG 35.75

At 08:17 AM 11/25/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>- If a load of waste can be traced back to a hospital, it is reasonable for
>>the landfill to ask the hospital to investigate because the landfill
>doesn't >know if they've got innocuous material or a teletherapy source.
>>
>>- If the hospital sends people to the landfill and ID the waste as trace
>>amounts of I-131, the landfill is unlikely to say "Oh, then go ahead and
>>leave it with us."
>>
>>- If state or federal regulators are contacted, they may understand the
>>health physics and public health concerns, but may still be obligated to
>>accede to the landfill's wishes.
>
>This does describe the existing, and an infuriating, state of affairs.  In
>my opinion, it is unreasonable for a regulator to acknowledge that a
>hospital has followed all the rules, but to penalize it anyway by demanding
>the removal of, say, an I-131 contaminated diaper from a landfill.
>Regulators are in an excellent position to guide radiation-related
>activities along the paths of reason and science, but instead seem compelled
>by public pressure to fall back on emotional and irrational tracks.
>>

>-psrao
>--
>P. Sridhar Rao, Mailstop BSH5056, Univ Hospitals, Cleveland, Ohio 44106.
>Tel: 216-844-1295.   Fax: 216-844-3300.   E-mail: psr@po.cwru.edu

>Dear PS Rao:

In the scenario you mentioned, California WOULD tell the landfill to just
keep the low level I-131-contaminated articles.  I believe that a state can
make more restrictive regulations than EPA.  This definitely sounds like a
state (Ohio) making more restrictive requirements than the federal EPA requires.

Ciao, Carol
<csmarcus@ucla.edu>