Re: Radioactive Gemstones

At 09:07 30.11.1998 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>>>2.  You have described the basic technique.
>>>
>One minor addition here, if you are using electrons, sufficient cooling
>must be supplied (typically running water) or some stones (epically topaz)
>explode like little firecrackers.  Very messy, very expensive.
>
>Franz, I have to say that in part I agree that it's kind of a fraud, but
>I'd really miss that beautiful deep blue from irradiated topaz.

Scott, I wish you from all my heart all the deep blue from irradiated
topaz, but I wish you as well that it will cost you no more than the
original stone and a few cents for the irradiation! If it then would also
be declared as irradiated, then it sure is no fraud. If you pay ten times
more, then it is fraud in my opinion.....

I do not know whether you know about "surimi", which is fake crab-meat. It
tastes like crab, but has been produced from ordinary fish. It is much
cheaper than genuine crab meat, but it is sold as "surimi" at a much lower
price. Therefore it is no fraud.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria