Re: NY Times Editorial on Marie Curie

Here's something to consider.  Check out  the responses to this thread, and try to adopt a layperson's viewpoint.  The experts are arguing among themselves as to what killed Curie, and missed the bigger point.   I suspect most folks don't worry too much about whether Mme. Curie died of radiation exposure or not.  Most people might expect that given the era, the lack of safety precautions, the lifetime spent sifting pitchblende, that her exposure was extraordinary compared with doses today.  What bothers me about the NY Times piece is that it says there is a valid question as to  whether this branch of "scientific research" has any net benefit to society.  It's the same old anti-nuc rhetoric.   I wrote to the Times, but I didn't talk about what killed Curie.

On the outside chance that they were to print a response to the original article, I hope what the readers would get to hear about is how Curie's work has helped produce technologies that save, extend, and improve millions of lives; how we all benefit in countless ways by the application of nuclear technology.  And that the original article sought to twist one person's supposed death from radiation exposure into a general condemnation of all things radioactive.  In short, there's no comparison when "tallying up" the positive with the negatives of nuclear technology - that's the message we should convey.

These opinions and 50 cents will buy you a really small cup of coffee.

--
Keith Welch
Newport News VA