Re: X-rays or Strip Search? -Reply

Kathleen Kaufman wrote:

> This unit has been used for some period of time in about 10 CA prisons. I
> have inspected the unit at the manufacturer's site. The dose is low, on
> the order of 5-10 microrem to the front & then the back (& the sides if
> they choose to do that). Because the dose is so low, it is very hard to
> accurately measure. The unit uses a backscatter technique. Also, there
> is nothing like a spacer that assures that all maintain a certain distance, &
> so the dose can vary a lot depending on where one is standing.

If the dose of 5-10 microrem is accurate (or even if it were an order of
magnitude higher: 50-100 microrem), does such a dose harm the individual
receiving it?  Even if one were exposed 100 times a year that would only
be 5000-10000 microrem.) Particularly if not using the technique were to
result in the deaths of guards and/or prisoners because a search without
the machine missed something?  Only one death must far outweigh even the
small hypothetical harm from such low doses (even to a large number of
people, if you believe that collective dose means anything).

I fear that the fear of low doses of radiation is what we are talking
about here.  I trust that all radsafers are not afraid of low doses and
that they will do all that they can to tell the public that low doses
are safe, particularly in light of all the other things the public does
that are not safe.  These machines cannot be unsafe if the doses are as
low as quoted.

 The CA Radiologic Health Branch is very opposed to these units,

Of course.  They are regulators and must regulate to zero risk, even if
the risk is only hypothetical!

> & are trying to get some regulations approved that would prevent their
> being used.

What a pity.  I will do everything I can to prevent such regulation now
that I live in California.

What's next- schools? Airports?

Hopefully.

Sometimes the cure may be
> worse than the disease..

Not in this case, unless, of course, the machine can't detect what it is
supposed to detect.  Does anyone know of any test results that
demonstrate the machine's capability?  If so, would you tell me of them
and how I could get the results, preferably on the web so I can download
them.  Thanks.  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell,net