Re: X-rays or Strip Search? -Reply -Reply

Yes, Ed DOES agree, & frankly it's rather uninformed to make a statement
that this thing saves lives. In fact, the manufacturer's own literature
states that out of over 9,700 inmate visitors that were scanned, they
found 17 contraband items, the most dangerous being one hatpin
(probably in a hat). In reality, I don't believe that it accomplishes anything,
so the dose, no matter how low, doesn't provide any benefit. Once again
some Radsafers have demonstrated the ability to come to conclusions
with little information. I also think we've beat this issue, so if anyone
would like to continue the discussion, please email me privately.

kkaufman@dhs.co.la.ca.us

--------------86768686CB61760AE2B35EAC

> Kathleen Kaufman wrote:
>
>> I have inspected the unit at the manufacturer's site.
>> The dose is low, on the order of 5-10 microrem ...
>
> Kathleen, so you agree the dose is low, but you oppose its
> use to save lives.  I assume you also disapprove of
> visiting Brazilian beaches and flying?
>
>> The CA Radiologic Health Branch is very opposed to these
>> units, & are trying to get some regulations approved
>> that would prevent their being used. What's next-
>> schools? Airports? Sometimes the cure may be worse than
>> the disease..
>
> Kathleen, I really don't believe you fully explored the
> alternatives to your statement above.    A risk-benefit
> assessment by a qualified HP would show the opposite.
>
>> (Usual disclaimer re employer not pre-approving this
>> message)
>
> Then you should not be talking for the Branch.  Does Ed
> really agree with your statement?
>
> High Plains Drifter
> magna1@jps.net

--------------86768686CB61760AE2B35EAC

manufacturer's
site. The dose is low, on the order of 5-10 microrem ...</i></blockquote>
Kathleen, so you agree the dose is low, but you oppose its use to save
lives.&nbsp; I assume you also disapprove of visiting Brazilian beaches
and flying?
opposed
to these units, &amp; are trying to get some regulations approved that
would prevent their being used. What's next- schools? Airports?
Sometimes
the cure may be worse than the disease..</i></blockquote>
Kathleen, I really don't believe you fully explored the alternatives to
your statement above.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A risk-benefit assessment
by a
qualified HP would show the opposite.
pre-approving
this message)</i></blockquote>
<b>Then you should not be talking for the Branch.</b>&nbsp; Does Ed
really
agree with your statement?