Re: X-rays or Strip Search? -Reply -Reply

Kathleen Kaufman wrote:

> The issue is getting something for the dose, otherwise the dose, no
> matter how low, is unnecessary. A weapon is EASILY detected on a
> metal scanner.

What if the weapon is not made of metal?

Remember that every inmate is strip searched after a
> visit, so that the only way a weapon (or anything else) could be brought
> in is for the inmate to swallow it- all under the watch of a guard-
> probably not much risk on that issue!

We believe that radiation exposure
> ought to result in some benefit, & we just don't see it for this unit.

If there are data that demonstrate the unit does not detect things that
its designers say it shoud detect, I would be happy to see that data.

> Remember, I have seen the unit & the images it produces.

And, is it your judgement that those images will never be useful in
preventing the wrong kind of materials to get into a prison where the
machine is used?  Have you communicated your judgement to the designers
and to those who purchaced the machines?  If so, what were their

By-the-way, did anyone do an ALARA evaluation for these machines; anyone
know?  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net