Re: X-rays or Strip Search? -Reply -Reply -Reply

Actually ( & unfortunately!) I have a LOT of experience relative to prisons
& know much more about the way they work than the ordinary person,
so don't try & lecture me on that issue! The other contraband items (&
remember we're talking about 17 people out of 9,700 scanned) were
things like lipstick, not safety issues. A hatpin WILL be detected by the
metal scanner, as will any metal object. Prisons can set the detectors so
that someone wearing a bra with hooks in the back will set it off. And
any person who cannot pass the metal detector test is not allowed to
visit. Any more discussion, please email me directly. I think both of our
perspectives have been discussed adequately.

kkaufman@dhs.co.la.ca.us

>>> Mike Dupray <dupray@gat.com> 12/02/98 09:42am >>>
More times than not, hat pins and other seemingly benign articles can and
are made into lethal weapons and escape equipment. Unless you've had
some
experience with prison inmates and the like, I would think you would
excercise some caution about the general publics safety. Xray
equipment is
a very effective tool in preventing the introduction of lethal weapons
(and
materials to make such) into the prison systems. If (and they do) gang
members can hide razor blades in their mouths what do you think more
hardened criminals can dream up??

I speak from experience. I have friends who work in the prison system.
In
Fresno, Edison High School is fenced in. There are campus police
(Fresno
city Police). A few years ago a gangbanger was ordered to kill my son
as an
initiation. This gang member was, at one time, my sons best friend in
elementary school. He brought a gun (found hidden on his body...guess
where?) and razor (found inside his mouth upon arrest...at school) with
him
to school to do in my son. Fortunately somebody ratted him out. We got
him
before he got us. Do you think it is too intrusive for Xray equipment to be
used to prevent this? Do you think the dose is to high to prevent killing
and attempted killings? In many inner city schools, this is an every day
occurance. Is an Xray for dental or medical work to high?? Is it okay to
inject someone with radioactive material to treat/diagnose disease??
Cannot
the same reason for medical uses be applied to prevention of killings and
injuries in our schools and the prison system?

I like the idea of using Xray. got any better suggestions....that would
work as well?
Michael R. Dupray
Senior Staff Health Physics Technician
General Atomics