X-rays or Strip Search?

I have stayed out of this debate, but I feel compelled to jump in, if for
no other reason but to prevent people from "piling on" to Ms. Kaufmann.
Professional people can have opposing views on a topic, and they should be
able to express those views without having their reputations as Health
Physicists brought into question.  I am particularly concerned with
comments like the following:

...with such uninformed technical and bureaucratic views in the "business"
of "rad safety" there to "explain" radiation to the public....

.......so you agree the dose is low, but you oppose its use to save lives.
I assume you also disapprove of visiting Brazilian beaches and flying?.....

....Of course.  They are regulators and must regulate to zero risk, even if
the risk is only hypothetical!....

Ms. Kaufmann is a knowledgeable and experienced radiation safety
professional.  She should be accorded a certain degree of professional
courtesy.  The disagreements with her may be valid, IF the manufacturer's
dose projections are accurate.  Ms. Kaufmann appears to be the only one
among us that has first hand experience with these units.  They were
discussed in our state, but none are so far registered.  When I reviewed
the data, I also felt the doses, as described in the manufacturers
literature, were deminimus.  However, does that mean no precautions should
be taken?  To achieve the low dose the unit relies on a "flying focal spot"
that distributes the dose across the body.  Couldn't machine malfunction be
a concern?  What if the focal spot does not move as intended?  Also, how
much does the dose vary with distance from the unit?  I don't know, and I
don't think any of you do either.  I cannot say that I would embrace these
units for unrestricted use in our State, unless I had more information.

As regulators, people like Ms. Kaufmann, and probably now myself, take a
lot of abuse from the so-called "informed" professionals.  But it is our
responsibility to protect the public.  I can see how Ms. Kaufmann would be
concerned with the unrestricted use of such a device on all individuals,
including infants and pregnant individuals with no use limits whatsoever.
I personally would not be comfortable relying on the manufacturers dose
measurements, without doing more of my own, in both normal use, worst case
and equipment failure type conditions.

I also don't recall the manufacturer claiming that this device does a
better job than a physical search, simply that it was quicker and that it
may find non metallic devices that would be missed by the magnetometer.  It
still will not see devices inserted in body cavities or in other areas
unless they are close to the surface.

If you have any good, first hand knowledge of these devices, and of actual
dose measurements done at different conditions, I am sure that information
is useful.  But making abusive or unflattering comments about someone or
about a group of individuals (regulators) particularly when working with no
first hand knowledge, seems unnecessary.

Don

Donald E. Parry
Radiation Safety Section
MI  Dept of Consumer & Industry Services
Voice: 517-241-1989; Fax: 517-241-1981
E-mail: don.parry@cis.state.mi.us
Web site: www.cis.state.mi.us/bhs/hfs/rss/