Q about animal research and rad hazards

Our Biosafety Officer is looking for input on safety and management issues
involving radiation research on animals.  The areas he is interested in are
listed below.

   - What is meant by a radiological hazard?
   - What are typical sources of radiological hazards in the animal
research environment?
   - Is external beam radiation such as x-irradiation considered a
radiation concern to an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)?
   - How might an IACUC evaluate radiological hazard risk?
   - Should the IACUC approve a protocol to use potential radiologic
hazards prior to approval from the appropriate institutional risk committee?
   - What kind of documentation should be provided?

Please respond directly to me at kidderj@msu.edu.

Thank you

I am not acting on behalf of my employer