X-rays or strip search?

     Group,

     Mr. Ford and others illustrate my concern perfectly: while pursuing
     our careers as safety professionals, let's not allow ourselves to
     become so tunnel-visioned that we lose perspective, describing the
     trees in excruciating detail and yet wondering where this 'forest'
     is that everyone keeps talking about.

     Most of us, myself included, are required by our jobs to consider
     the microscopic, postulated risks that are assumed to be associated
     with millirems of exposure. I'm not criticizing anyone for taking
     this part of our job seriously.  I think we cover that end of the
     risk spectrum quite well, even with our differing viewpoints.

     But if we must take those risks seriously, wouldn't it be supremely
     inconsistent to neglect consideration of the detriment to society
     from the bad things that x-ray (or other) searches can prevent?
     After all, the detriment of a single fatality that could have been
     prevented by such a search is measurable and very much real, not
     hypothetical.

     So if our risk 'equation' only includes the positive medical
     benefit to an individual, balanced against the assumed detriment of
     low-level radiation exposure, I think we're missing something. It
     is certainly justified to take that additional societal risk as
     seriously as the others we consider.

     I don't care which method is best (x-rays or strip search); I DO
     care if we toss away a tool that could benefit society without
     examining what we are really doing.

     Vincent King
     vincent.king@doegjpo.com