Radioactive Sources Involved in Fires

     RadSafers -

     A colleague (not on RadSafe) has been asked to identify suitable
     prevention or protection measures to eliminate or minimize the pollution
     that could result from radioactive sources being vaporized in fires.
     Level measurement and process control instruments are a particular
     concern.  However, the microcurie Am241 sources in smoke detectors also
     should considered.

     In addition to environmental pollution resulting from these sources
     being destroyed in a fire, what is the impact (if any) on the
     firefighter.  Any guidance, references or details on this topic would be
     appreciated.

     I will forward all responses to my colleague.  Thank you in advance for
     your assistance.

     Have a good weekend,

     Mike Vala
     Bristol-Myers Squibb