Re: Irradiator Control

At 10:55 AM 12/4/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi
>Is there a USNRC regulatory guide on the control/operation of sealed source
(in this case 137-Cs) irradiators?  Thanks for letting me be lazy by posting
to Radsafe!
>Mike
>
>Mike Davidson
>GTS Duratek
>(410) 312-5121 voice
>(410) 290-8154 fax
>davidson@gtsduratek.com
>Visit our website at www.gtsduratek.com !

>Mike,

 The main NRC reg I know of is 10CFR part 35.59 which covers leak testing
(wipe sample) from the surfaces of the device. This procedure is not to
exceed every 6 months.  That is if you irradiator contains more than 100
microcuries of beta or gamma emitting material.  As for the operation of the
unit I know of nothing regulatory wise that stipulates who can operate it.

Paul Phelps, Radiation Health Tech, U.S. Navy
(619) 532-8770
pphelps@snd10.med.navy.mil