Re: Radioactive Sources Involved in Fires

Mike:

        I don't know if this is a 100% on-the-mark response to your question, but you may wish to look at ANSI Standard N43.6, the latest version of which was distributed to all HP members in the Aug or Sep 98 monthly HPS Newsletter.  Commercially purchased sealed sources, including those contained in levels and process control instruments, usually come with an ANSI certification certificate on which the source classification number will be indicated.  This alpha-numeric sequence of numbers can be deciphered by referring to ANSI N43.6.  The first numerical digit following the letter indicates the thermal test to which the source capsule was subjected.  Suffice it to say that most commercially purchased sealed source capsules have been certified to withstand immersion at --40 degrees C for 20 min and thermal stress ranging from 80 to 800 degrees C for 1 hour.  As far as any potential impacts on the firefighter, I believe that about 1 year ago, here on RADSAFE, a few RADSAFERS specified a booklet written by the late Wade Patterson which specifically described the potential radiological threats faced by firefighters.  Best regards  David