and the Winners of DOT Packaging for Beers Contest are ......

Duane Schmidt, Bill Lipton (and was anyone surprised here), Roy Parker, and
Ira Seybold.

Gentlemen - see me at the annual in Philly or look for me at the end of the
5K race (I'll be the one with a beer in his hand) to redeem your prizes.

I took the liberty of summarizing their responses below the signature. I do
appreciate their help in clarifying the issue surrounding packaging tests
and acceptance criteria.

Sorry for the delay in posting the summary but my father after an extended
illness just passed away (he drank a lot of beer but I think as any good
Irishmen will tell you it kept him alive longer) and I needed to take care
of mom and other items.

Pete C.

pcollopy@mjwcorp.com
MJW Corporation
338 Harris Hill Road
Suite 208
Williamsville, NY 14221
716-631-8291 x3120
716-631-5631 (FAX)

There is no "certification" for DOT 7A packages.  The primary requirements
are:

(1) The package meet the design requirements - 173.24, 173.410, 173.412.

(2) The package must pass the specified tests - 173.461-466.

(3) The package must be marked, "USA DOT 7A Type A" and "Radioactive
Material", per 178.350.

(4) "Each offerer of a Specification 7A package must maintain on file for at
least one year after the latest shipment, and shall provide to DOT on
request, complete documentation of tests and an engineering evaluation or
comparative data showing that the construction methods, packaging design,
and materials
of construction comply with that specification." per 173.415

Item (4) is generally referred to as the "certification".  There are
published test results available.  Data is available at the Hanford Web
site:

http://www.hanford.gov/pss/t&p/dot7a/pdot7a.htm

If your package meets the specs of a tested package, you can then use the
published data in lieu of performing your own tests.  Two things to keep in
mind:

(1) The "package" includes both the packaging and the contents.  You have to
make sure that the contents tested are valid for your contents; eg., if the
package was tested with feathers, it may not pass if the contents are lead
shot. Packages tested with solids may not be valid for liquids.

(2) The shipper is required to have all of the data on file, not just a
"certification" letter.  I've run into problems on this with vendors, who
will try to get me to accept just a letter stating that the package passed
all of the tests. This is NOT enough.