Re: AAPM Report No.58

Ron:

        And here I thought that the risk factor was approximately 2%/Sv which would yield an estimate of 200 folks!  I fully agree with your reservation; whether the estimated risk factor is 2%/Sv or 4%/Sv, it still is a RISK factor by which fatal cancer induction is ESTIMATED.  This risk factor does not guarantee that 200 or 400 folks actually will get fatal radiation-induced cancer.  Therefore this AAPM question is misleading in the sense that it strongly implies that a 1 rem whole-body GUARANTEES a certain number of fatal radiation-induced cancers.  Best regards  David