AAPM Report No.58

I was just skimming through my copy of AAPM Report No. 58: Managing The Use of Fluoroscopy in Medical Institutions(October, 1998).  Here's a question from their Sample Examination:

4.  How many extra fatal cancers will be produced if a population of one million persons were irradiated to a whole body effective dose equivalent of 10 mSv (1 rem)?
   A. 100
   B. 200
   C. 400
   D. No one knows.

Their Answer: C

I don't know if the answer is a typo, of if they intended to word the question a bit differently.   I know what they intended (using the NCRP estimate), but If I was asked how many cancers any population dose WILL produce, I would have to say that no one really knows.

Ron Frick
rfrick@gammacorp.com