Re: Survey frequency and inspection

While I agree with the below to some extant, it really depends on the
surveyor and the lab. I have been at institutions that survey once a
quarter and put the monthly burden on the PI, and for most part that
was simple necessity. For the size/staff ratios it would have been
insane trying to survey each PI once a month. But my point is that even
though I was only in there every few months, I made the effort while
there to get to know the lab, to bring them to a place of trust where
they would call when they had questions or problems or whatever. If you
take the time during the survey whether its once a month or once every
three months you can get that relationship.
On the other hand if the surveyor doesn't make the effort or has a hard
time being relational they will come across as another regulatory
police agency no matter how often they come in.

just my .02
Andrew

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 12:09:23 -0600 (CST) Warren Church
<Warren_Church@uml.edu> wrote:

> I think that the biggest advantage of RSO personnel performing
monthly surveys is in getting to know the researchers well enough so
they will have the confidense to call on you immediately for help if
there is a major spill etc.  If the RSO is just another reguatory
police agency who we only get deficiency notices from then there may be
a tendency to clean it up ourselves.  We know what disaster this can
bring.
> Warren Church, UML RSO
> warren_church@uml.edu

Andrew Buchan     tel: 805-893-7256