RE: Texas board votes down border nuclear dump - details

On 12-8 Glen Vickers wrote...
> The last thing this country needs is for another waste site to steal volume from
> Barnwell.  It is commendable that the fine folks in Texas would want to create
> their own waste/cash repository for their region, but right now the continued
> operation of Barnwell should be the primary national interest.  We must
> recognize that Envirocare in Utah is already diverting much of Barnwell's
> waste/cash.  There is an obvious lack of national leadership in the area of
> radioactive waste.  The fine folks from South Carolina should be commended for
> taking action and providing a viable waste option for the entire country.  The
> continued operation of Barnwell is a national interest.

While I agree that Barnwell should be commended for there long
service to the country's LLRW needs... our community needs to
realize that things change and free market competition is one of
the cornerstones of our economy. Barnwell is an old site and will
not be open to everyone for an indefinite period of time (as we have
seen in the past).  Waste minimization initiatives, volume reduction
techniques and escalating costs for access to Barnwell are already
changing how many institutions choose to handle their LLRW
disposal issues... usually because they can save a lot of money.  I
am not familiar enough with the Envirocare facility to comment
whether or not it is "good" or "bad". Same goes for my knowledge
of the proposed Texas site.  However, new LLRW disposal sites
will eventually be needed.  Doing this with a combination of good
engineering, public relations and community education will
hopefully (I know I'm a little idealistic here) make siting LLRW
disposal sites less of an issue.  (High Level sites such as the one
proposed at Yucca Mtn., will never be "less of an issue", nor
should they be.)

Just something to chew on,
My opinion only.
Patrick