Re:x-rays

Franz

Your comment
"Finally one should not forget a traditional and conservative method to
check whether a suspect is smuggling drugs in his/her stomach: Laxatives
and waiting. Then one would have followed the ALARA principle."

reminds me of an event here.  Administering laxatives to a smuggler who
refused examination wasn't permitted so the person was lodged at a hotel
with a non-flushing toilet arrangement but refused all food for 1 week. Then
the Police had to get another court order to hold him for a further 7 days.
 I believe he managed to hold out for around 14 days before 'producing the
evidence'.

I think in this situation the cost to society more than outways the
detriment to the suspect from the radiation dose from x-ray examination.
 Further, there is commonly a benefit to the smuggler as cases of ruptured
swallowed containers have led to life threatening situations for some drug
smugglers.

Andrew McEwan

Andrew C McEwan PhD
National Radiation Laboratory