Re: Group wants nuke plants shut if not Y2K compliant + Business

At 13:08 12/14/98 -0600, you wrote:

>> Business Group Challenges Nuclear Ads - (STATEWIDE) -- The
>> national Better Business Bureau is asking a trade group to stop
>> calling nuclear power ``environmentally clean''. The move is the
>> result of a complaint brought by the Vermont-based Clean Energy
>> Group and several other organizations. The bureau wants the
>> Nuclear Energy Institute to stop touting the cleanliness of nuclear
>> power when it fails to mention radioactive waste and air pollution in
>> its ads. The institute objects to the bureau's decision, which isn't
>> legally binding. But it's agreed to consider the issue in
>> future ads.
>
>By the same token shouldn't those who tout solar energy as clean be
>required to " come clean" about the toxic waste from expired solar
>cells such a gallium arsinide and similar toxic wastes from which the
>general public will have to be protected? I'll wager there are toxic
>and/or hazardous wastes associated with wind generated electricity
>also.

Charles and all,

Copper windings from the motors (heavy metal), polymers from the motor
housings and propeller blades (unrecycleable and possibly carcinogenic),
dust from the degrading brushes (inhalation hazard) and dead,
sliced-like-a-Quisinart bird carcasses (yeech!)

Did I mention I'm now an aviculture assistant at the National Aquarium too?

Scott Kniffin

RSO Unisys Federal Systems, Lanham, MD
CHO Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA
mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov

The opinions expressed here are my own. They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys or NASA.  This material has not been reviewed by my
manager or NASA.