laboratory survey frequencies

Dear Radsafers -

Following is a summary of the information I collected last week regarding
frequency of laboratory surveys, primarily at universities, but with a few
commercial facilities thrown in for flavor.

Total respondants:		22 (including the University of Rochester)

All surveys by HP:		5 (including U of R)
Survey frequency:		monthly
Inspection frequency:	3-6 months
# labs to survey:		70 or less (320 at U of R)
technicians on staff:	1.5 - 3 (3 at U of R)

Surveys by lab:		17
Survey frequency:		weekly or monthly (most require surveys after any rad work)
Inspection frequency:	3-6 months (2 inspect annually)
# labs to survey:		not asked
# staff:				not asked

In general, I think it's safe to say that smaller institutions are more
likely to provide full service to their "customers", possibly because it is
less of a drain on their resources.  One respondant indicated that, with
140 labs, Radiation Safety performed all surveys, but this person also
indicated that 3 FTEs were hired specifically to perform this task.  This
respondant was not included in the above summary.  Finally, I contacted
those people indicating that Radiation Safety performed all surveys, asking
them for information on number of labs and technicians.  I did not ask this
information of everyone.

If anyone has questions regarding this informal survey, please contact me
off-list and I'll do what I can to help out.

Andy
Andrew Karam, MS, CHP			akaram@safety.rochester.edu
RSO, University of Rochester		http://www.rochester.edu/Admin/EHAS/rshpage.htm
(716) 275-3781 (voice)				(716) 256-0365 (fax)

"Just as, from the pawprint alone, one recognizes the lion." Johann
Bernoulli, 1697 referring to Newton's anonymous solution of the
brachistochrone problem.