From: Kim Merritt [mailto:Merritt9@llnl.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 1998 4:04 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Humor for some, not for the overly sensitive

One of the prime rules of war is get it over as fast as possible.  If this
means using uranium rounds to kill the other guys tanks in a week rather
than slugging it out over the course of months or years, where is the fault
with that.  As for the toxicity:  If you are close enough to be present
when the uranium gets vaporized you probably won't care that it is toxic
because you will be dead.  A quick look at the TLV for uranium gives it a
TWA limit of 0.2 mg/m3.  However, looking at the TLV for lead (the most
commonly used small arms material) we see a TWA limit 0.05 mg/m3.  So how
does using uranium rounds make a battle field any more hazardous afterwards
than using lead rounds.  Never mind the unexploded ordinance, mines, etc.

| | | |__  Safety Support Officer, Physics & Space Technolgy
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-1143   Fax: (925)423-1088
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow