Re: Webster EDE calculation

> Can you give a reference for the Webster formula and briefly describe
> how it was derived? Why do you use it rather than some other formula?

Doug gave one of the references. Another one is in Health Physics
Correspondence: 0017-0978/94, page 88.  I don't have the whole
journal, so I am not sure which month is was actually published.

I can also recommend a document published by EPRI, including
many presentations of various EDE methods (sponsored
particularly by the NRC), EPRI's New Approach to Determining
Effective Dose Equivalents, August 13, 1997.

I agree with Ken that the collar weighting factor of 0.04 appears to
be too small. Logically, one would expect a higher factor for the
collar considering that when a single dosimeter is worn on the
collar, a weighting factor of 0.3 is used. If one determines that
when wearing two dosimeters, generally the dosimeter under the
Pb apron showns no deep dose. If that is true, the collar dose *
0.04 is the EDE. Therefore, if there is determined to be no deep
dose under the apron, and the lab decides to only wear the single
collar dosimeter, the factor increases from 0.04 to 0.3. I believe
that the collar weighting factor should be consistent, 0.3 whether a
single dosimeter is worn and when two dosimeters are worn. If the
chest badge is assumed to show no dose ... why should the collar
be different depending on the number of dosimeters worn? I believe
the previous to be true AFTER a study has been performed wearing
the two dosimeters.

-----------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director