Re: Supplemental Radiological Criteria

License termination criteria should NOT be confused with free release
criteria
for material being released by a licensee.  Generally, the only means by
which
a licensee may release licensed material is by liquid or gaseous effluents
(if
permitted by your license), or by transfer to an authorized recipient.
Strictly, the amount of material that can be release to the general public
is
nothing.  The question then becomes the sensitivity which is required for
free
release surveys.  If what's considered appropriate instrumentation can
detect
contamination, the item should not be released, even if the detected level
is
below the criteria you quoted.  See HP Position Statement, HPPOS-072, "Guide
on 'How Hard You Have to Look' as Part of Radioactive Contamination Control
Program."

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com