Re: Re[2]: Shipment of Radioactive Material

> If the quantity of material being transported requires the vehicle to be
> placarded, then the vehicle no matter size or weight, becomes a commercial
> motor vehicle, and is required to have a driver who is qualified to operate
> a commercial motor vehicle e.g., he/she needs a CDL.
> My opinion only,
> Phil Egidi
> ORNL/GJ

The driver(s) would also need a hazardous materials endorsement
on their CDL... the haz mat endorsement requires the passing of
an additional written test.

An earlier portion of this thread talked about insurance coverage...
Rutgers does not allow anyone to transport radioactive materials in
their personal vehicles, the insurance issue being one reason.  We
have occasions when researchers are relocating across campus
and don't want to be inconvenienced by having our dept. move the
small amount of RAM from one lab to another. We invite and
encourage them to walk the materials across campus... if they
insist on driving (on campus only), they must make arrangements
to use a University Vehicle.

My opinions only.

Patrick J. McDermott
REHS