4x Re: Supplemental Radilogical Criteria

To the philosophical interest of Bill Lipton (and others):

The de minimis principle is based on the requirement that the dose is so low,
that no measures for radiation protection are required - the trivial dose.
Most authors proposing values of trivial individual dose have set the level
of annual risk of death which is held to be of no concern to the individual
at 1E-6 to 1E-7. Taking a rounded risk factor of 1E-2 per Sv for whole body
exposure as a broad average over age and sex, the level of trivial individual
effective dose equivalent would be in the range of 0.01 to 0.1mSv/a.
That means to me, if this dose is trivial, the risk will be the same.
Perhaps, the fatal error lies in the linear dose model. There is a threshold
we should consider - the trivial risk threshold.

Merry Xmas!

Joerg Feinhals
feinhals@tuev-nord.de

This opinion is not strictly mine, it is from safety series 89 of IAEA!