Re: radioactive material training for researchers

Hi all,

A suitable substance might be sodium flourescein, which is very cheap and
apparently non-toxic and since it is used as a laser dye, will very
definitely glow under black lights.  It sounds like this might also be the
basis for the theif detection powder.  BTW you don't need black lights to
see it.  We spooned some ito a vial to give to one of our researchers &
naturally spilled some on the bench.  Whenever the beck gets wet, bright
green spots show up where residue remains.

Don

Don Jordan
The University of Chicago
Office of Radiation Safety