Re: radioactive material training for researchers -Reply

Many years ago I took an emergency response course for first
responders put on by FEMA at the Nevada Test Site. Most of the
attendees were police & fire staff, & knew little about radiation. At the
beginning of the course they passed around a piece of paper that
everone was to read. It turned out they had put some kind of fluorescent
material (I don't know what it was) on it, & after everyone had read it,
they used a black light in the room to demonstrate how quickly
contamination can spread. It was amazing how it was just everywhere,
& also demonstrated how some folks itch/scratch in unusual places! It
was VERY effective- I doubt that anyone forgot it. I've often thought that
that demonstration was one of the best I've ever seen.

kkaufman@dhs.co.la.ca.us

>>> Andrew Buchan <Andrew.Buchan@ehs.ucsb.edu> 12/22/98
10:14am >>>
In light of this request. I have a similar one. I will be teaching a
basic training class for some undergrad bio students who will be using
some H3, I want to use a material that shines under black light to
show how contamination spreads. Has anyone done this? If so how
effective was it, and what did you use as the mock contamination?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:53:27 -0600 (CST) "Gross, Karen M.(Health
Phys.)" <karen_gross2@merck.com> wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I work in a pharmaceutical research facility and we have been
revising our
> > basic radioactive material training course for researchers this past
year.
> > Although it is much more effective and interesting that what we were
> > previously using, there is always the problem of boring the
researchers.
> > In addition, there is definitely a large portion of training and knowledge
> > about working safely with radioactive material that researchers will
only
> > gain from on-the-job training by experienced researchers.
> >
> > Keeping these two points in mind, I wanted to ask people what types
of
> > demonstrations they include in their training to keep the researchers'
> > attention and to bridge that gap of "book" knowledge and
> > "practical/experience" knowledge which will minimize radiation
exposures
> > and maximize regulatory compliance.
> >
> > Please reply to me in person at "karen_gross2@merck.com".
> >
> > Thanks in advance for you input.