re: Alpha analysis of air samples and contamination smears

Hello Jack
     We count "all" of our smears and particulate air sample filters for
alpha. This is done by utilizing equipment that allows for simultaneous
counting for both beta-gamma and alpha such as the Tennelec (now Oxford)
LB5100PW and Baird Centicount automated planchet counters. We also use a ZnS
Scintilator ( SAC-4) for verification of the presence of alpha activity in
high beta-gamma countrate filters where the beta-gamma channel to alpha
channel crosstalk may have caused alpha counts to show in the alpha channel.
Large Area filter papers (Hivols) are measured using a large area dual
phosphor detector (NE Model DP8A) with an Eberline model RM-24 operated in
the scaler mode.
    Please feel free to contact me for any Questions

Tim Martinson
Health Physics Group
Wisconsin Public Service Corp
Kewaunee Nuclear Power Plant