Re: Cyclotron Shielding

At 09:07 01/05/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Radiation protection at cyclotron
>
>We are planning to build a cyclotron in Nantes. Who could advise on the
>concrete shielding nececessary for a proton beam of 70 MeV and an intensity
>of 2 mA ?
>Any reference would be welcome.
>Tahnks in advance for cooperation.
>
>***********************************
>Jean-Charles ABBE
>Ecole des Mines de Nantes
>Laboratoire SUBATECH
>BP 20722
>44 307 NANTES CEDEX 3
>
>Tel 33 (0)2 51 85 84 01
>Fax 33 (0)2 51 85 84 79
>
>ABBE@SUBATECH.IN2P3.FR

Dear Dr. Abbe:

As a physics consultant. a large proportion of my work is in accelerator shielding.  If i were in the EC I would ask for a trip to visit your site and go over the nbuilding plans (at a price). Since this is manifestly impossible, lets try a bit of email design (I already helped some designers at the Autonomous University of Barcelona in Spain ( the documents came out in Catalan !- but I can read that) so let's say,  I am always happy to help colleagues in academe.  ( Iwas once an academic).

First a recommendation aor two:
        !. H.Wade Patterson & Ralph H. Thomas, Accelerator Health Physics, Academic Press, new York and London, (1973, I think-the date is obscured on my photostaic copy).  Agenera;;y useful reference, a trifle verbose here and there, but written clearly.  I knew Wade quite well (he died ywo years ago) but did not know Thomas. This reference, althoughnold, is probably the best .

        2. Ra;ph h. Thomas and Graham R. Stevenson, Radiological Safety Aspects of the Operation of Proton Accelerators, IAEA Technical reporty Series No. 285, IAEA Vienna, 1988. I wish I could be more enthusiastic about this document, but it is a dreadful little book. There is one part where a whole 7 or 8 pages are replicated , and that's just the
beginning. Yet at right about the place where ythis occurs, there are useful data.  I have read other work by Stevenson (a CERN veteran) and Thomas obviously knew better, so the problem was probably caused by non-English-speaking typesetters in Vienna, exhibiting that finwe old Austrian trdition of schlamperei . Yet =there are new data in it.

The general comment is that 70 Mev protons offer no surprises, but 2 mA is an impressive beam. The actual layout ans external beam placement, etc, are most important.

PLese write to me at:
        H.B. Knowles, PhD,
        Physics Consulting
        4030 Hillcrest Road
        El Sobrante, California
        USA
        Telephone/Fax : (US access) 510-758-544
        Alternate Telephone: (Access) 510-758-4630
        email hbknowls@ix.netcom.com

This is (I think) 8 hours after your time. I understand a little French on a face-to face-basis, but an English speaker would be better if you call. I read French (Spanish, Portuguese  Grman and, as noted Ctalan) but am only a fluent speaker of Spanish.
The shield designer needs a lot more information, such as the cyclotron design. I will be willing to help, consistent with other activities. ( I do some legal consulting and will be in a jury trial next month, and have just finished acting as lead technical person on the reviews of two very large accelerators at Los Alamos, a task for the US Department of Energy - I am also an accelerator physicist) . Bur please advise as to what you need, and I will assist.

H.B. K.