RE: ...no subject...

The use of a ZnS Scintillator should be sufficient for measuring direct
alpha levels even within a high gamma background, however attempting to
measure direct beta/gamma levels  with a plactic scintillator may prove to
be difficult with your external dose rates. I would suggest taking open
window vs closed window ion chamber readings to locate any gross beta
activity.However, you will not be able to quantify 5 Bq/cm2. Perhaps a
strippable paint may be considered as a decontamination technique prior to
transporting or just as an encapsulation method.