Popular press misunderstandings about uranium [& other rad related issues]

A nationally syndicated column titled: "Antiques" by Ralph and Terry Kovel
appeared recently in the Providence Journal  Sunday Bulletin [Dec. 27, 1998].
A question from a reader to the column authors was posed as follows:

Vaseline Glass

Question:
 "I recently learned that the vaseline glass candlesticks that sit on my
dining room table get their yellow-green color from uranium. Does this pose a
health risk?"

Response:
"The coloring agent used in making vaseline glass was the stable compound
uranium dioxide, not the radioactive element uranium. Tests to measure the
emissions given off by genuine vaseline glass show they are on the same level
as TV or microwave-oven emissions."

So much for technical accuracy about uranium dioxide vs. uranium. Microwave
emissions from uranium? It's amazing how inaccurate most information in the
press is on issues of radiation. There's a wonderful quote by Lili Tomlin:

"No matter how cynical I get, it's hard to keep up"

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Director- Radium Experiment Assessment Project
Consulting Scientist
19 Stuart St.
Pawtucket, RI 02860

E-mail: radproject@usa.net