Availability of thin Makrofol for track etch studies

Does anyone have any experience of using makrofol for alpha particle
detection.  Can we obtain thin layers - 2 microns or less?  There
seem to be several types of makrofol - do they differ in radiation
response?

The reason for our questions:-

We are trying to develop a technique for mapping the spatial dose
distribution of boron in tumour and normal cells in connection with a
boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) radiotherapy programme. In
simple terms a thin tissue sample(boron loaded) is placed in contact
with a couple of layers of plastic and then exposed to thermal
neutrons to induce an n-alpha reaction in B-10.  The alpha tracks
(1.47 MeV) are subsequently etched to provide the spatial
distribution of boron. The production of the plastic layers follows a
prescription in the literature which involves the formation of a thin
layer of ‘makrofol' type plastic using a powder material called
makrolon.  This is dissolved, cast on water and picked up on a glass
slide.  The problem is that the prescription is difficult to get to
work reproducibly.  I won't go into the details - but in an attempt
to improve the reproducibility we would like to try using a thin
layer of ready made makrofol foil, instead of casting the film.  The
thickness should be no more  than about 2 microns in order to
maintain spatial resolution. We have found only 1 supplier of thin
makrofol - Goodfellows.  They can provide 2 micron foil in a form
referred to as macrofol KG.

Any comments, names of other manufacturers, references, etc, would be
very much appreciated.
Dr Monty Charles, Reader in Radiation Physics
School of Physics & Space Research
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT