Re[2]: WIPP salt, water

No, the drums used to dispose of the waste will not be able to withstand
the pressures, generated, they will be crushed completely.  I have worked
at the WIPP and many other underground mines, and I currently help to pack
drums for disposal at the WIPP.  When the ground flows, the drums will be
crushed, and the waste will permanently entombed.  There is no concern for
water-borne migration because the salt formations have no (very little)
water in them or they would be eaten away.  The salt formations are 2000
feet thick where the WIPP is located and the disposal site is in the middle
of the formation (1000' dirt/rock 1000' salt, waste, 1000' salt  then
bedrock).  The salt formations extend from southern NM to Kansas.  The salt
has remained in place ( not exposed to water) for > 200 million years.

Mike Dempsey
ESH-1 LANL TA-55 (Plutonium Facility)

PS Boycott Wild Oats!!