Air Sample Channeling

     Regarding the "channeling" of radioiodine:  consideration of
     "channeling" in radioiodine charcoal cartridges was recommended
     in NRC Regulatory Guide 4.8, 1975, guidance for environmental
     technical specifications (essentially effluent and environmental
     monitoring programs for nuclear plants).  Factors such as
     cartridge packing density, pore size, sampling flow rate,
     velocity and particle size and chemical makeup all need to be
     considered, but our experience has been that using standard
     conditions and quality commercially procured cartridges, we've
     never seen any channeling.  One thing to look for is vibration
     induced channeling due to the sample pump.

     Eric Goldin
     <goldinem@songs.sce.com>