RE: Nuclear Proliferation

1.  It's a long long way from knowing how an atom bomb is put together to
actually building one that works when your want it to and not when you
don't, or that works at all.  I have asked my husband who is an expert in
these matters to put together a response that I will post later.

2.  Clearly, the aftermath of the explosion is primarily the effects of the
blast,  the high radiation levels, and inhalation of large amounts of
fission products. Which of these kills immediately?  What difference does it
make? The Atomic Bomb survivors' study is a good source of the long term
effects; they are also discussed in BEIR VI.

3.  I personally believe that our primary duty as citizens is to do what we
can to protect national security and  the security of fissile material.
Beyond this, we can reiterate that the greatest risk from this or any other
exploding device is to the amateur bomb-maker and his or her immediate
surroundings.

Clearly only my own opinion

Ruth F. Weiner
Sandia National Laboratories