Cost for Calibration

I have been issued the task of determining the cost of doing in-house instrument calibration (gm's).  I am hoping that someone else has been through this process and can share any ideas or input.  About 4 years ago we started charging researchers a nominal fee for calibrating their instruments (much lower than outside vendors)

The factors involved:	we are a nonprofit university, use a JL Shepherd calibration range ~$14,000.00 new (1977) and calibrate ~ 200 instruments per year.

The cost of a new calibration range is ~ $75,000.00

I have talked to the people at J.L. Shepherd and my institutions controller.  I have considered the cost of time involved and a few other small miscellaneous items.

Thanks in advance for your help

Joey Michael
mailto:joey-michael@uiowa.edu
University of Iowa