RE: History of X-Rays

Group,

The HPS bylaws in Article II Objectives and Purposes state:

"The [HPS] is a professional organization dedicated to the
development, DISSEMINATION, and application of both the
scientific knowledge of, and the practical means for, radiation
safety."  (emphasis added)

The proposed bylaws on the recent ballot state:

"The [HPS] is a professional organization whose mission is to
promote the practice of radiation safety.  HPS activities include
encouraging research in radiation science, developing standards,
and DISSEMINATING radiation safety information."

So, the current bylaws (and whichever version of the objectives
withstand the most recent poll) explicitly state that disseminating
information is a priority for the HPS.  The HPS is its members.
Therefore, HPS members on this list should be willing to assist
students.  Not do their work, not write their paper, but provide
information.  Maybe the information supplied would be to suggest
that the students go to the library AND check out "The History and
Impact of Radiology on the Health Professions" by Ray D. A.
Chun.

What is wrong with asking an expert?  In a classroom, the teacher
IS the expert.  Would you discourage these students from asking
their teacher questions?  Today research laboratories are built so
as to encourage collaboration between researchers.  How is this
different?  Would you disallow personal communications as a
reference in scientific papers?

Someone much wittier than me said that stealing ideas from one
person is plagerism and stealing ideas from many people is
research.  Asking experts is a time honored and widely accepted
method of learning.  Discouraging this practice is sending the
wrong message.

Kent Lambert, CHP
knlambert@earthlink.net

knlambert@earthlink.net