Monitoring in Industrial radiography

To other regulators out there. I have a query concerning the trend in
personal dosimetry and survey instruments.

In most places I'm aware of, each industrial radiographer and assistant is
required to wear TLD's (or a film badge) and a personal audible alarm (which
provides an increasing rate of response with increasing dose rates).  The
team must also use an appropriate survey meter which due to design have
always been hand held instruments.

These days sophisticated and programmable compact electronic dosimeters are
available with various functions such integrated dose, dose rate
measurements, audible alarms at preset dose or dose rates, data logging.
They are typically designed to be clipped to the users clothing.

Are there any trends toward the use of these compact devices in industrial
radiography instead of hand held survey instruments ? Please post your
comments on any issues to my personal e-mail.

Regards from upside down under :-)

Leif Dahlskog
Scientific Officer
Radiation Health Section