Re: Radon Information

	While my research indicates that radon in homes is not a serious
danger, it is still inndisputable that the average American gets more
radiation from radon in his home than from all other sources of radiation
combined, natural, medical, and all else. He gets about 1000 times as much
radiation from radon in his home as he will get from nuclear power,
including reactor accidents (treated probabilistically), radioactive
wastes, and everything else. If my research is accepted, this means that
all sources of low level radiation are inconsequential.
	It is interesting to note that while radon gives us 1000 times as
much radiation dose as nuclear power, our Society spends 1000 times as
much to reduce our dose from nuclear power. Thus the expenditure per life
saved (if lives are indeed lost due to low level radiation) is 1,000,000
times (1000 x 1000) larger for nuclear power radiation than for radiation
from radon. Note that if a particle of radiation (alpha, beta, or gamma)
strikes a cell in our body, there is no way for that cell to "know"
whether it came from a material produced in a reactor or from a radon
daughter; the health effects must therefore be the same.
	To me this means that our Society is behaving insanely. If someone
disagrees, please try to enlighten me.

 Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh