From: nolan Hertel [mailto:nolan.hertel@me.gatech.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 7:32 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Independent assessment of rad environmental monitoring

Although not qualified myself, university professors often meet the the
public's definition of independent.

At 04:19 PM 1/25/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Our Radiological Environmental Monitoring Program (REMP) at the
Millstone
>Nuclear Generating Station is being challenged by an outside group.
They
claim
>that the utility cannot be trusted to monitor itself.  We would like to
have an
>independent assessment of our program.  The person or organization
doing the
>assessment cannot be in bed with the nuclear industry.  Any suggestions
of
who
>that could be?
>
>Claude Flory
>Senior Scientist
>Northeast Utilities
>floryca@gwsmtp.nu.com
>information can be accessed at

Nolan E. Hertel, PhD, PE
Director, Neely Research Center
Professor of Nuclear Engineering and Health Physics
G. W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0425
(404)894-3717 or -3601
facs: (404) 894-3733 or -9325