Re: Irradiated hardware

John
We have estimated the activity of the internals of our research reactor at
Georgia Tech (decommissioning plan now under review by the NRC) using the
SCALE package.  We used a couple of one-dimensional cuts through the
reactor tank and shield and performed one-dimensional flux calculations.
Then we used ORIGEN with the operational history of the reactor to create
an irradiation sequence. This is available in a recent MS thesis.  Of
course, we don't know if this is the correct answer, but the outcome of
these calculations seems to be largely in agreement with TLD dose rates
that we have measured in the empty tank.

I am willing to talk further -- contact me via me at my personal email
address or phone number.

Nolan

At 06:44 AM 1/26/99 -0600, you wrote:
>looking for reference material on acceptable methodologies/guidence
>for determining nuclides/activities of research reactor irradiated
>hardware.  any help would be appreciated.
>
>john o'neil
>us ecology

Nolan E. Hertel, PhD, PE
Director, Neely Research Center
Professor of Nuclear Engineering and Health Physics
G. W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0425
(404)894-3717 or -3601
facs: (404) 894-3733 or -9325