I-131 Thyroid Uptake

Does anyone have references to suggest for answers to the following questions:

What is the typical percent of a iodine intake (we happen to be concerned with I-131) that will be taken into the thyroid gland?  My 1972 copy of Shapiro, "Radiation Protection" says 30%, but there is some indication that it may be as low as 3% (at least for some individuals) according to other sources.

So, is the answer a range, say about 3 to 30%?  Does the pathway make a difference, e.g. nuclear medicine injection vs. reactor release and subsequent accidental inhalation?

Thanks,
Mike McCarty
Health Physicist/Emergency Planner
mccartmj@state.mi.us

Drinking Water and Radiological Protection Division
Radiological Protection Section
Nuclear Facilities Unit
   phone:  517-335-9414
     fax:  517-335-8706

mailing address:
     Drinking Water and Radiological Protection Division
     3423 North Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
     P.O. Box 30630
     Lansing, MI 48909-8130